Furniture & Accessories
Terms & Conditions of Sale
MJ Bird & Son Limited aim to give the best possible value and service at all times. Please read our Terms and Conditions of Sale relating to Furniture and Accessories.
In these conditions :-
“Company” MJ Bird & Son Limited
“Customer” Means person buying the goods
1)Payment must be made on or before the day of delivery. All goods supplied remain the property of M J Bird & Son Limited until paid for in full.
2) All prices quoted include vat unless otherwise stated.
3) Unless stated otherwise the price in a quotation is based on costs and prices at the date of the quotation and shall remain valid for 28 days from the date of the quotation.
4) Is it the customers responsibility to ensure that any goods ordered will fit into their property. If for any reason you are unsure please discuss this with our team prior to delivery. Should any item be delivered and access not be available or the items/s will not fit there will be a charge for missed delivery. If items have to be returned to our shop due to not being able to fit into a property there will be a charge made for restocking. Any costs incurred affecting delivery will be the customers responsibility i.e. door or window removal.
5) Deliveryis free to the local area (Carnforth, Lancaster, Morecambe, Lune Valley, Garstang, Kendal, South Lakes). Delivery outside of these areas can be arranged but will be chargeable. Please ask our staff for a quotation.
6) Delivery dates and lead times quoted are given in good faith and are often based on delivery times provided to us from suppliers, these may be affected by delays that are beyond our control and therefore we cannot accept responsibility for any consequential loss.
5) Where applicable our delivery team will deliver your furniture to your home. Please make sure that the area you wish the furniture to be placed is clear and free from obstruction. Our delivery team will then remove all wrapping and dispose of them for you, unless it is self- assembly.
6) Self-assembly items will be delivered to the room of your choice boxed. It is your responsibility to remove the product from the packaging and assemble. Although you may be unable to assemble the product immediately, please fully check the product and in the unlikely event of the product being damaged or parts missing please advise the office within 72 hours of delivery.
7) If the Company is ready to deliver goods on the date as agreed and the customer requests the Company to delay delivery for any reason the Company may request the Customer for full settlement of the invoice within 30 days of the original date of delivery.
8) Goods sold must be of a standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. Quality is a general term, which covers a number of matters including
* Fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied
* Appearance and finish
* Free from minor defects
A customer cannot claim for defects that are brought to their attention before the sale.
9) If when supplied the goods are faulty the customer has 30 days from the date of delivery/collection to reject the faulty goods and have a refund. After 30 days the customer has the right to a repair or replacement of the faulty goods. If the repaired or replaced goods are then still faulty the customer then has a final right to reject the goods and so becomes entitled to a refund.
10) Repairs or replacements must be done without significant inconvenience to the customer and at the Company’s cost.
11) After six months refunds can be reduced to take into account the time the customer has had to use the goods.
12) Where the Company is both supplying the goods and installing the goods, then where it is the installation itself that is defective, the Customer does not have the right to reject the goods, but only a right to repair/replacement of the goods, followed by the final right to reject the goods if this is unsuccessful.
13) If the Customer selects goods and later decides they are the wrong colour or not the size they wanted or just does not like the goods and the goods themselves are of a satisfactory quality, they will have no legal right to reject the goods or recover damages. Return of these items will be at the discretion of the Company Directors and if returned would be subject to a restocking charge.
14) Any bespoke goods ordered specially (not from the shop floor) cannot be refunded/returned due to fact that they will have been made to order specially to the customers specifications.
15) For goods that develop a fault after 6 months the Customer is only entitled to ask for a repair or replacement. The Customer cannot insist on either it is for the Company to look at price comparison and feasibility of both.
16) In disputes where the Company and Customer do not agree as to whether the goods are faulty, both parties will agree to appoint an independent expert who will be able to provide a report which both will agree to be bound by and accept the outcome. There may be a charge for this.
Carpet & Flooring
Terms & Conditions of Sale
MJ Bird & Son Limited aim to give you the best possible value and service at all times. Please read our Terms and Conditions of Sale relating to Carpet and Flooring.
In these conditions :-
“Seller” MJ Bird & Son Limited
“Buyer” Means you the Customer
“Company” MJ Bird & Son Limited
1) Until full payment has been made all goods will remain the property of the Company
2) Carpet quotations are valid for a period of 10 working days.
3) Prices do not include cutting of doors, uplifting or removal of existing floor coverings, moving of furniture/appliances and whipping of carpets unless otherwise stated. We do not hoover the flooring on completion of fitting. For uplift and removal services we will remove old flooring and offcuts and packaging from your new flooring. If you decide not to opt for this service it is your responsibility to uplift your existing flooring prior to the fitters arrival. The fitters will bag up any carpet remnants from your new flooring and leave them for you to dispose of. If you would like to keep any offcuts please advise the fitters on arrival at your property.
4) The Buyer must notify the Company upon quotation if the floor surface is to have any areas which will be subject to use by wheelchairs, wheeled chairs and any moveable furniture. If this is not done the Company will not be responsible for any future damage to the floor covering.
5) The Buyer must notify the Company upon quotation if the area has underfloor heating or hidden pipes or wires. If this is not done the Company will accept no liability to damage to the under floor heating system, pipes or wires when fitting of the floor covering.
6) Under request our fitters may remove doors to facilitate the fitting of the flooring, this will not include “Fire Doors”. The Customer will need to make arrangements to have the doors re fit and hung as this is not a service we offer.
7) We respectfully ask that customers uplift and remove old bathroom & toilet floor coverings and then clean before our fitter’s attendance. We do reserve the right to refuse to carry out the work at the discretion of our fitters if the flooring and surrounding areas are dirty.
8) The Company request where possible rooms are cleared of furniture ready for the fitting of the flooring. If our fitters are asked to move furniture The Company will not be responsible for any damages to this furniture. All wires and cables in the rooms should be pointed out to the fitters. If this is not done The Company will not be liable for any damages.
9)If the Buyer has provided their own measurements they are responsible for these being accurate and The Company accept no liability if the floor covering does not fit.
10) Our products are only suitable for normal domestic use and are not necessarily suitable for commercial use. Particularly where there are different fire safety standards in respect of some commercial uses to which the products may not comply. The Customer needs to state and check this at the time of ordering.
11) All delivery times are approximate, whilst every effort is made to stick to these times The Company cannot accept liability arising from delay, however caused. If the buyer request special delivery arrangements, this must be notified to the Seller in writing. Any additional costs incurred as a result of special delivery arrangements will be payable by the buyer.
12) All carpets are liable to shading, that is, to show light and dark patches arising from unequal crushing of the surface pile. The amount a carpet shades is in the main determined by its colour and design. No amount of care during manufacture can completely eliminate shading but the effect can be minimised by regular vacuuming. Light and delicate carpets are liable to become soiled with wear. The Company accepts no responsibility whatsoever for shading in goods.
13) All pile carpets can suffer from pile reversal. This may occur on certain colours and styles and is not a manufacturing defect. The Seller accepts no liability whatsoever for pile reversal in goods.
14) The ultraviolet rays of sun can be very damaging to a carpet and in the event of a carpet being fitted up to a large window area or in direct sunlight the carpet must be adequately shielded to prevent shading. The Company accepts no responsibility for fading on or to the goods.
15) For care and maintenance of your carpet please refer to the Manufacturers care guide which can be found on their respective websites,
16) Complaints shall not be considered until you can produce proof of purchase.
17) Fitters undertake to carry out their work with skill and care, but even with the greatest care home décor may be marked or scuffed during the fitting process. New paintwork and wallpaper is especially vulnerable and should be allowed to fully dry. A minimum of one week is recommended. Neither we nor any fitter undertake to carry out any redecoration, except where damage has been caused by that person’s negligence.